Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The oath an attorney takes in Maryland before being admitted to the bar

MD Code Bus. Occ. & Prof. 10-212 Oath or affirmation for admission (Maryland Code (2013 Edition)) Provides the following language:

On admission to the Bar, a lawyer shall take the following oath or affirmation in open court:


"I do solemnly (swear) (affirm) that I will at all times demean myself fairly and honorably as an attorney and practitioner at law; that I will bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland, and support the laws and Constitution thereof, and that I will bear true allegiance to the United States, and that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution, laws and government thereof as the supreme law of the land; any law, or ordinance of this or any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

I took this oath in 1986 and try to adhere to its principles.

No comments: